April 22, 2012

Ricky - The Pet Plant

Adi and I went to the Second to None market today. Before we left, I told Adi that I wanted to buy some plants and asked him if he wanted one to take care of himself. He was really excited by the idea and said he wanted to choose his plant himself and that he will take care of it and water it everyday. When we reached the place, it was too small and crowded and I didn't want to take Adi through the stalls (I was sure it would make him impatient). So I found a nice little place for him, in the Hamsah farm stall (the owner knew Adi quite well) and left him there with his DS and asked him to help John with the sales. He was more than willing to do it - as he had also done it earlier in the 100 hands exhibition.

After going through the stalls and meeting some friends, I found the My Sunny Balcony stall - from whom I wanted to buy some planters and plants. Unfortunately, most of them were already sold out but I found one indoor plant in a blue recycled planter and thought it would be perfect for Adi's room and for him to take care. I went and got Adi to the store, he liked the blue planter as well and so we got the plant home.

Adi was almost like a "papa" to the plant right from the time we bought it. He spoke to it and said we were taking it home and that he was going to take care of it. He then wanted to name it and asked me if it was a boy or a girl. Just to see his reaction, I told him it was a girl - and he quickly named it "Petal". But then, as expected, he asked me how I knew it was a girl and I told him I knew it because it had a pink label on it. That was it - he said you could put a label of any color and so the plant could be a boy as well - and the name was changed to "Ricky" :)

Adi held on to Ricky all the way home and kept speaking to him. Once we reached home, he took him around all the rooms and showed all the other plants to him. He then wanted to keep him in a safe place - which happens to be our balcony seat. I suggested many other places ( as I didn't want it to be kept on the seat) - but apparently Ricky does not feel safe anywhere else!! So there he is now, nicely watered and taken care of. I hope the love lasts and more importantly the plant survives the love! :) It was sure nice to see Adi all loving and caring and that too for a plant. Everyday there's something new to rock his boat :)








1 comment:

Aparna said...

So cute :).. all the very best to Adi and great idea from you to develop his green fingers so early ;)..