January 10, 2012

6 years today

10th Jan 2006 - exactly 6 years ago - we first held our little bundle of naughtiness and ushered an abundance of love, smiles, hugs, happiness and warmth into our home. Every day since this day has been special so we don't really treat 10th Jan as a 'special' day or celebrate it - in fact, I even forgot about it last year!!

This afternoon I told Adi that it was on this day that we first saw him and how happy we were holding this tiny naughty baby. He was thrilled to hear about this and said that he was very happy to be with Papa and Mama too :)

And yes, I have finally managed to explain the word 'adopted' to him. Did it while we were in Singapore last month - although I guess he promptly forgot the word! But it was a word that I was finding tough to deal with while speaking to Adi (although I am very OK using the word 'adopted' and talking about adoption otherwise) and am glad that I was able to finally tell him about it and what it meant. I also met a dear old friend in Singapore who is a counsellor for adoptive parents and she told me that most of the children start questioning about their 'birth' parents and adoption around the age of 6-7. Adi is 6 now and I have had no serious questions from him yet. I guess it could be because he still doesn't understand what it means or does not want to deal with it or is in a very happy place and not worried about the whole adoption thingy. I would like to believe that he is in a happy place - only time will tell :)

I started reading Steve Jobs biography today and this is what he tells of his adoptive parents - "They were my parents 1000%". I hope this is what our little Brat will feel about us some day too because he is our son 100000000000000000000000000000000000%.

No comments: